Worldwide Shipping Available. Shop now open at 42 Cross Street. London N1 2BA Mon-Sat 10am-6pm
June 17, 2019
A sartorial staple of many cultures around the world, the hammam towel is a flat woven towel which originated in the public baths in Turkey during the Ottoman Empire.
Local villagers in Turkey would make hammam towels using hand looms and this was a tradition that was passed on through many generations. In fact, it’s something that still happens in small Turkish villages to this day and is an important part of life for many people.
In Tunisia, hammam towels are known as fouta, in Turkey, they are peshtemal or hammam towels, in Kenya and Tanzania they are kikoy and in India they are Lungi. Composed of linen, cotton or sometimes bamboo, these towels are highly absorbent, quick drying and lightweight. The perfect accompaniment for so many activities.
1. Keep a hammam towel in your bag or car for an impromptu picnic.
2. As a regular towel instead of terry cloth.
3. Take one to the pool. It's lightweight and won't weigh you down like a normal terry towel.
4. Take one to the gym.
5.. On cool summer evenings, they work great as an extra throw on the bed or on a sofa.
6. Take one to the beach and use as either a beach towel and/or impromptu sarong.
7. On the plane, it's the perfect protection from a chilly cabin.
8. Use it as a scarf
9. It's the perfect stroller blanket
Enjoy the summer with one of our Babooshe foutas.
September 11, 2020
March 05, 2020
February 04, 2020